Cold winter weather means dry, irritated lips. This winter, find relief in an unexpected way. Lip fillers, especially those containing hyaluronic acid, may boost hydration in your skin and lips. Call MAE Plastic Surgery to schedule your lip filler treatment or to learn more.
Hyaluronic Acid- Rich, Nourishing, and Moisturizing
Hyaluronic acid’s name implies a harsh, acidic solution, but in reality, this compound is the polar opposite. Hyaluronic acid, or HA for short, is a natural substance that is found in the skin, connective tissues, and eyes. Its purpose is to keep things moist and lubricated. HA can hold a substantial amount of water and is essential for the skin, and lip, hydration.
Cold weather dries the skin and leaves the lips feeling chapped. Infusing the area with additional hyaluronic acid through lip injections may help to restore a moisturized and hydrated feel to the lips. This isn’t the primary goal of a lip filler treatment, but if you’re already planning on enhancing your lips, it may be an added benefit to getting the injections. If you’re hoping for moisturizing benefits from a filler treatment, opt for an HA filler, like Juvéderm® or Restylane®. The unique properties of hyaluronic acid provide the moisturizing benefits and you won’t achieve the same effects with a non-HA filler.
Can Fillers Moisturize Dry Winter Skin?
HA is naturally found in the skin and lips. As you get older, hyaluronic acid levels decrease. Just as injectable fillers containing HA may hydrate the lips, they may also help to increase hydration in the skin. The use of fillers for skin and lip hydration require more study, but one thing we know for sure is that these products can dramatically improve appearance by filling in wrinkles, restoring facial volume and lifting sagging skin.
Other Tips for Combating Winter’s Dryness
Fillers aren’t the only way to keep the skin and lip hydrated and comfortable this winter. Here are our best tips for staying moisturized this season.
- Don’t Lick Your Lips- When your lips are feeling dry, a quick lick seems like the easy solution. Don’t do it! In the long run, this will lead to more dryness and discomfort. As the saliva dries, it pulls water out of the skin, leaving your lips even drier than they were before.
- Turn Down the Temperature in the Shower or Bath- Hot water in the shower or bath can melt the oils in your skin, rinsing them away forever. Turn down the temperature and shower less frequently to keep your skin feeling moisturized.
- Use Moisturizing Products- Lotions, lip balms, and other moisturizing products can create a protective barrier for your lips and skin. Moisturize often, even if your skin doesn’t feel dry.
- Drink More Water- What’s going on inside of your body can affect how your skin and lips feel. Are you drinking enough water?
- Use a Humidifier- Indoor heating dries the air, and in turn, dries your skin and lips. Running a humidifier can restore moisture to the air and offsets many of the drying symptoms experienced during the winter season.
Call us to schedule your injectable hyaluronic acid treatments in Chicago. You’ll enjoy smoother skin, fuller lips, and just maybe, a little less dryness this winter.