Plastic surgery results start in the operating room, but they are finished at home. The actions you take in the days and weeks after your procedure will directly impact the quality of your results.
How can you improve your recovery experience and ensure you achieve your best surgical results? We’re sharing three tips for a successful recovery below. Please contact our office if you have any questions or concerns as you recover from your facelift, rhinoplasty, eyelid surgery, or any other procedure at MAE Plastic Surgery.
Rest Like It Is Your Occupation
After most surgical procedures, you’ll need to take time off work. The amount of time required will depend on the operation you’re having.
You’ll have extra time while you’re home recovering; use it wisely. Your recovery isn’t the time to clean out the cupboards, organize the garage, or paint the spare bedroom. Healing is hard work for the body. We advise you to rest and focus on healing from your procedure quickly.
What should you do during recovery? Here are some recommendations:
- Binge Netflix and catch up on your favorite shows.
- Take slow, gentle walks a few times each day.
- Drink lots of water.
- Read a good book (or listen to an audiobook if you’ve had breast surgery and using your arms is uncomfortable).
- Eat healthy foods. If you’ve had facial surgery, focus on soft foods at a neutral temperature.
- Come to your follow-up visits. We need to see you during recovery to monitor your healing and address any concerns.
- Get extra beauty sleep.
Work can wait. During recovery, your job is to heal. Leave the laptop on your desk and focus on you. You’ll be back to work soon, looking better than ever!
Stay Out of the Sun
Sunshine and plastic surgery don’t mix; sun and heat exposure can increase your side effects after surgery. Minimizing your time in the sun may help you to heal faster and reduce uncomfortable side effects like swelling.
Here are some easy ways to limit sun exposure after plastic surgery:
- Clothing – Cover your incisions with layers of clothing. For facial procedures like a facelift, consider wearing a broad-brimmed hat when you go out in the sun.
- Sunscreen – Sunscreen is always important, but it’s absolutely vital after plastic surgery.
- Shade – If you are outdoors, seek out shade to shield your healing skin from the sun and heat.
Give Healing Time
We know you’re excited to see your new look, but with plastic surgery, patience is key. Unless you’ve chosen a non-surgical treatment like dermal fillers, you won’t see your results for a little while. Be patient and give your body time to heal. You’re going to look great—but right now, you just need to trust the process.
Contact MAE Plastic Surgery to learn more about cosmetic treatments for the face and nose in Chicago, IL.