Let’s talk wrinkles. We all have them and most of us want fewer. At MAE Plastic Surgery in Chicago, we offer many different options for treating wrinkles. These treatments are vast and varied, ranging from a simple facial to a surgical facelift. The best treatments for you will depend on whether your wrinkles are dynamic or static and how pronounced they are. Come in for a consultation to get personalized advice or keep reading to learn more about your options for treating facial wrinkles.
Two Types of Wrinkles: Dynamic and Static
You may be surprised to learn that there are many different types of wrinkles. We’ll discuss two primary types here: dynamic wrinkles and static wrinkles. Most patients have both types.
Smile, laugh, or scowl and your muscles go to work to create your expression. As the muscles contract, they push and pull on the skin. It takes many years, but in time, wrinkles begin to develop. These lines and creases are called dynamic wrinkles. Common examples of this type of wrinkle include crow’s feet, smile lines, frown lines, and forehead creases.
Since dynamic wrinkles are made by muscle movement, they can be treated by relaxing the muscles that created them. BOTOX® is used to gently relax specific facial muscles, fading your dynamic wrinkles away. We use only a small amount of product and carefully inject it to create skin-smoothing results while retaining the ability to make expressions. We also offer Dysport, a botulinum toxin treatment that works similarly to BOTOX®.
Static wrinkles have many causes including aging and sun damage. These wrinkles aren’t the fault of muscle activity. Many of the treatments we use to treat static wrinkles can improve the appearance of dynamic wrinkles too.
Non-surgical options for treating static wrinkles include:
- Dermal Fillers- Fillers treat wrinkles by filling them in. Many of the fillers we use contain hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance found in the skin. They are injected during a quick, 30 minute or less treatment and provide results for several months or longer.
- Chemical Peels- Chemical peels remove the outermost layers of skin. The new skin underneath is often healthier and less wrinkled. Regular treatments can dramatically improve skin quality and appearance.
- Microneedling- During a microneedling treatment, the skin is systematically damaged. This boosts collagen production and improves skin thickness, helping wrinkles to fade.
- Laser Treatments- Laser treatments can be very effective for treating wrinkles, but unlike our other non-surgical options, laser treatments often require a recovery period. After treatment, patients enjoy smoother, brighter skin and fewer wrinkles.
We also offer surgical treatments that can smooth wrinkles and rejuvenate the skin including:
- Facelift- A facelift smooths wrinkles on the lower face. It is very effective for treating nasolabial folds (lines from the nose to the corners of the mouth), jowls, and mid-face sagging. A facelift offers long-term results, with many patients enjoying a lifelong improvement in their facial appearance.
- Browlift- For wrinkles and sagging on the upper face, a brow lift is a popular choice. This treatment lifts sagging brows and smooths wrinkles on the forehead. This treatment is a popular complement to facelift surgery.
- Fat Grafting- Fat grafting uses your body’s own fat to smooth wrinkles and restore facial volume. It works much like a dermal filler but offers longer lasting results.
We are always happy to discuss our treatment offerings and help patients choose appropriate and effective treatment options. Just ask!
Whether your wrinkles are dynamic or static, at MAE Plastic Surgery, we can help you smooth them away. Call us to schedule your consultation with Dr. Epstein or Dr. Krochmal.