You know you want bigger breasts and you’ve decided to pursue breast augmentation to achieve that goal. You have gone through the consultation process and now the only question that remains is, which implant type is the best way to create your ideal breasts? Should you choose saline or silicone?
Both saline and silicone breast implants have advantages. With a skilled plastic surgeon like Dr. Epstein performing your procedure, you’re going to have great results whichever option you end up with. Explore both saline and silicone implants below to find your perfect fit. Don’t worry- our team will help guide you through the process and help you decide which option is best for you. This isn’t a decision you’ll have to make on your own.
What Are the Advantages of Saline Breast Implants?
- Cost Less – Saline breast implants generally cost less than a similarly sized silicone implant.
- Easier to Spot a Rupture – When a saline breast implant leaks (which is rare), the medical-grade saline inside will quickly be absorbed by the body. The affected breast will noticeably deflate, alerting patients to the problem with the implant so they can seek appropriate medical care. With silicone implants, this does not occur, and imaging may be needed to discover leakage.
- FDA Approved for Younger Patients – Saline implants are FDA-approved for cosmetic use in women aged 18 and up. Silicone breast implants are only approved for cosmetic use in women aged 21+.
- Smaller Incision – The shell of a saline breast implant is placed into the breast unfilled, allowing for a smaller incision (often only about an inch long). Once the implant is in place, it is filled with a sterile saline solution. Silicone implants are pre-filled and require a larger incision.
- Adjustable Size – Since saline implants are filled in the breast, your surgeon can make some adjustments in the volume of the implant. Easy size adjustment may make saline implants a better choice for women with significant breast asymmetry.
What Are the Advantages of Silicone Breast Implants?
- More Natural Feel – Silicone breast implants feel almost identical to natural breast tissue, even outside of the breast.
- Less Likely to Ripple – Silicone breast implants are filled with a soft, smooth gel. This gel may hold its shape better than the saline in a saline implant. Silicone implants move with the body more naturally and are less likely to experience distortion or rippling.
- More Options – Silicone breast implants come in many shapes and sizes, allowing for a truly customizable fit. We have anatomic breast implants that are larger at the bottom and thinner at the top, just like a natural breast. There are also round silicone implants and breast implants filled with a cohesive silicone gel (called gummy bear implants). More options mean more flexibility and a better opportunity to create your desired breast shape and size.
- Ideal for Women with Less Natural Breast Tissue – Since silicone breast implants feel more like a natural breast than a saline implant, they may be a better fit for women with less natural breast tissue. Saline implants can feel very natural but only when they are covered by sufficient breast tissue.
Contact MAE Plastic Surgery to Learn More About Chicago Breast Augmentation
MAE Plastic Surgery is one of the top plastic practices in the Chicago area and performs many breast augmentation procedures each year. If you’re ready to learn more about breast augmentation and your implant options, reach out to our team and schedule a consultation. Contact us today and we’ll create your best breasts together.