You’ve dreamed of your rhinoplasty for years and it’s almost here! This guide will help you with the final preparations before your big day. Let us know if you have any questions and make sure to follow the instructions from your surgeon. We’ll give you detailed information about preparation during your final pre-op appointment.
The Night Before Rhinoplasty
Many patients feel nervous and excited the night before their rhinoplasty. Use this time to tackle some final preparations so you’re ready for your surgery the next day. Here are a few must-do tips.
- Fill Your Prescriptions– If we’ve given you any prescriptions, get them filled before your surgery. This allows you to head right home after your procedure to rest rather than heading to the pharmacy to get your medications.
- Stock the Fridge– Fill your fridge with easy to eat and drink options. The day after surgery you may feel a bit nauseous so have a few comforting, simple foods on hand. Patient favorites include Jell-O, ginger ale, crackers, fruit smoothies, and pudding. We recommend soft, light foods for the first 24 hours. Avoid foods that are hot or spicy or that requires a lot of chewing during recovery.
- Get Some Lip Balm– Your mouth will be very dry after rhinoplasty. Stock up on lip moisturizers and beverages to keep things moistened and comfortable.
- Wash Your Sheets– You’ll likely be spending a lot of time in bed, especially in the first couple of days after rhinoplasty. Wash your sheets so you’re comfortable and then you won’t have to worry about them during recovery. It is probably a good idea to use some of your older less expensive sheets since there could be bloody drainage.
- Hydrate– Drink plenty of water the day before surgery. Good hydration can reduce nausea and help you feel better after surgery.
- Take a Shower– Take a shower the night before surgery. Wash away all makeup, lotion, deodorant, etc. After your shower, don’t apply anything, including lotion, to your skin. You should also remove any nail polish you may be wearing. You’ll want to take a second shower the morning of surgery.
The Morning of Your Rhinoplasty
Give yourself plenty of time the morning of your rhinoplasty to prepare. We want you to come in feeling relaxed and ready, not rushed and stressed. These tips will help you to finish up your rhinoplasty preparations.
- Wear a Button-Up Top– You won’t want to pull anything over your head after surgery so wear a button up top to your procedure. We also recommend comfortable pants and slip-on shoes.
- Don’t Eat– Don’t eat or drink after midnight on the day of your rhinoplasty. Surgery is safer on an empty stomach.
- Get a Ride– You won’t be able to drive home after surgery so have someone drop you off at the surgery center. We’ll let them know when you’re ready to be picked up, but since it will be a few hours they may want to run some errands while they wait.
We are here to help you prepare for your surgery. Please get in touch with any questions or concerns.