Did you get a little too much sun this summer? We can help you reverse sun damage from past summers with a chemical peel. This non-surgical and non-invasive treatment can brighten skin, smooth wrinkles, fade discoloration, and more. Call us to schedule your chemical peel at MAE Plastic Surgery in Chicago, IL or to learn more about the many minimally invasive treatments we offer in our medical spa.
What is a Chemical Peel?
Skin is made up of many layers, fresh young skin underneath with older skin on top. A chemical peel helps you to shed the outer layers of dead or damaged skin, revealing healthier, new skin. Chemical peels are most commonly performed on the face, but they can also enhance skin on the neck and hands.
Chemical peels use an acidic solution to slough off old skin cells. We offer many different peels, each with a unique acidic formulation to achieve your best skin. We’ll help you choose a peel before your first treatment, but top picks include:
- AlphaHydroxy Peel- One of our best peels for pigmentation problems, our AHA peel exfoliates, bleaches, and inhibits pigment production. This peel is also a great pick for our acne-prone patients. The AHA peel is available in three formulations.
- Glycolic Peel- Fight back against fine lines and wrinkles with our glycolic peel. We use a doctor-strength therapeutic formulation to ensure the best results. Glycolic peels are especially effective at loosening congestion in follicles and may reduce breakouts and acne.
- Sensi Peel/Ultra Peel- For our patients with sensitive skin, we offer the Sensi Peel or Ultra Peel. These peels use trichloroacetic acid and plant-derived progesterone to leave your skin feeling plump and hydrated. If you have rosacea, this peel is an excellent, soothing pick.
- TCA Peel- Our TCA peel uses a 15% solution of trichloroacetic acid. This peel is effective for smoothing acne scars and deep pigment variations. This is one of our most intense peels and is generally reserved for in-depth treatment and hard to treat problems.
- Salicylic Peel- Our salicylic peel boosts collagen production and is ideal for sun damage, oily skin, breakouts, and hyperpigmentation.
- Lactic Peel- Summer sun damage is no match for our lactic peel, an effective choice for age spots, freckles, sun spots, and hyperpigmentation. This also works well for smoothing fine lines and wrinkles.
During a chemical peel treatment, we start by cleansing the skin and applying the acidic solution. After a set amount of time, the solution is neutralized and removed. Patients return home shortly after their peels and can often resume regular activities immediately. Redness is very common after treatment and can last for a few days.
Better to Prevent than to Repair
Our chemical peels are effective treatment options for the sun damage you already have, but going forward, practice better sun habits to prevent future damage. Here are our best tips for protecting your skin from the sun.
- Use Sunscreen- Sunscreen is a must for preventing sun damage. Use a broad-spectrum product with an SPF of at least 15. Choose a stronger SPF for days in the sun and outdoor activities.
- Apply Daily- Get in the sunscreen habit. Ideally, it should be applied daily, even when outdoor activities aren’t on the schedule. Use sunscreen during every season: winter, spring, summer, and fall.
- Don’t Skimp- Apply sun protection generously; most people don’t use enough. A nickel-sized dollop is enough for the face, but you’ll need more if you’re applying to other areas.
- Minimize Time in the Sun- Sunscreen isn’t the only way to protect your skin from the sun. Try to minimize sun exposure during the middle of the day when UV rays are at their strongest. Shade, hats, and light layers can protect the skin and keep it looking young and healthy.
Say goodbye to summer and summer sun damage at MAE Plastic Surgery. Call to schedule your chemical peel today!