What is Liposuction?
Liposuction in Chicago is designed to remove localized or regional deposits of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss procedure, nor is it used to treat obesity. A liposuction surgery is specifically used for body contouring. Dr. Epstein performs liposuction surgery to patients all over Chicago and the surrounding areas of Evanston and Buffalo Grove, IL. Patients choose Dr. Epstein for his vast experience and the personable approach he has with his patients.
How is Liposuction performed in Chicago?
Liposuction is an outpatient surgical procedure performed at our facility. An incision is made near the site to be treated for insertion of a device called a cannula, which is a small hollow rod. A tube is then connected to the cannula, which is then connected to a vacuum machine. The cannula tip loosens excess fat under the skin when the cannula is moved. The fat is then suctioned using a powered device to remove fat from the selected site.
Tumescent liposuction follows the same above technique; however, saline solution, anesthesia and adrenaline are infused into the area being treated. This results in less discomfort and bruising after the Chicago liposuction surgery. Dr. Epstein uses the tumescent technique for his patient’s liposuction procedures.
These procedures take approximately 1 to 3 hours, depending on the amount of areas to be treated and the complexity of the liposuction case.
What to expect during the recovery period:
- A compression garment must be worn for 2-4 weeks after surgery to help the skin conform to its new contours.
- Swelling, numbness, soreness, bruising and discomfort are normal, all of which can be controlled by medication and will subside.
- Resume light activity within 2-5 days after surgery.
- Full activities may be resumed 4-6 weeks after surgery.
- Continue to eat an appropriate diet for best results.
- It may take several months for swelling to fully dissipate and reveal your new contour.