What is a Body Lift?
A body lift is a surgical procedure used to remove excess skin and fatty tissue from the middle and lower abdomen, the hips, the outer thighs, the back, and the buttocks. It also helps tighten the muscles of the abdominal wall. A body lift in Chicago can be performed on both men and women, and typically includes a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty), a thigh lift and a Brazilian butt lift. It is often combined with other surgical procedures, such as liposuction, to further enhance the end result. Dr. Epstein has been performing body lift surgery for many patients throughout Chicago and surrounding areas like Buffalo Grove and Evanston, IL. Body lift patients trust his expertise and top doc stature to handle their cosmetic surgery.
It is important to understand that a body lift is not a surgical treatment for being overweight. Obese individuals who intend to lose weight should postpone all forms of body contouring surgery until they have reached a stable weight. Many of Dr. Epstein’s body lift patients in Chicago have undergone bariatric surgery or have experienced dramatic weight loss on their own, leaving them with tremendous amounts of excess skin. For patients who have undergone bariatric surgery, a body lift can be a very rewarding experience, improving the body’s shape and contour and completing the weight loss process.
How is a Body Lift in Chicago performed?
A body lift is an outpatient procedure performed at the fully accredited surgical center in Northbrook, IL. Your body lift will be individualized for your specific conditions and the areas to be treated.
Excess skin and fat from the entire midsection of the body is removed. The incision required for the procedure is typically placed very low on the abdomen, generally in the pubic area. Occasionally it runs higher on the thighs to preserve the aesthetic appeal of the thigh, and continues along the lower back, just above the buttocks. The resulting scar, which usually heals very well, is hidden by most underwear and bathing suits. Dr. Epstein will discuss the surgery with you in great detail to make sure that you understand the procedure and the anticipated results.
What to expect during the body lift recovery period:
For the first few days, you are likely to feel discomfort, which can be controlled with pain medication. Your abdomen, thighs and buttock will be swollen. The swelling will resolve over a period of weeks to months, depending on the extent of your body lift. In general, 75% of the swelling is resolved at six weeks, 95% at three months, and nearly 100% at six months to a year. After the procedure, Chicago patients should also expect the following:
- Following the body lift procedure patients should plan to be out of work for 1 to 2 weeks
- Pain and discomfort are managed with oral medication.
- Although we rarely use them, drainage tubes might be inserted, which will require personal home care for about 1 week.
- You will be provided with a medical compression garment to wear at all times, except while bathing.
- Dressings are generally removed 2 days after surgery, and showering is allowed at that time.
- After surgery your activities will likely be restricted until you have adequately recovered. This could include no exercise and no lifting of 5 pounds or more.
- Walking is encouraged after surgery; however, further exercise is not recommended until sufficient healing has occurred.
- Most people require 7-10 days off work and 4-6 weeks of recovery before returning to normal activities. In 6-8 weeks, you can resume exercising.
The results of a Chicago body lift surgery are visible almost immediately, and your new uplifted body contours should be long-lasting, provided that you maintain your weight and general fitness level.